Saturday, August 20, 2011

While I've Been Away...

Hello avid readers, if you're still out there. The two week hiatus was caused by some family and friend emergencies that required my full attention. When your loved ones need you, the first thing you cut out is your online blog -- I'm serious. I wish I could say that I will be coming back full force but sadly, my attention is required elsewhere and my commentary on fashion, entertainment news, and current events will have to take the back burner for a while.

Don't be too disappointed, I will still be around, just not as frequently. But you're ok with that because with the holiday's ending and school starting up, you're secretly glad to have one less distraction and cause for procrastination (regardless of how ridiculously funny or entertaining it is.)

During the hiatus, I read the book A Child Called It by David Pelzer. It was non-stop heartbreak from start to finish -- so much so, I don't think I can read books two and three of the trilogy. Maybe after a few comedies I can make my way back to the depression that is David Pelzer's life, but not right now.

A Child Called It chronicles one of the worst cases of child abuse ever recorded in California history. The book begins at the end, revealing how in 1973 David eventually achieves freedom from his abusive mother. Every other chapter describes inhumane, vile, and emotionally traumatizing instances of abuse. Trust me when I say that at times, you'll find yourself crying, cursing, and even gagging at the disgusting torture methods David's mother reserves for her young child.

The most disturbing of all is the fact that as a reader, you so desperately try to understand why David is singled out. You wonder how a mother can provide food, attention, and most of all, love to all her sons but one. Where does the hate stem from? There is no explanation.

Ultimately, the book is meant to be an inspiring tale of how one boy wills himself to survive and eventually escapes his mother. However, the process of getting there will leave your heart heavy. There is no break from the sadness so if you decide to read this book, my advice would be to do it in a day or two and to not drag it out. The stories you read will linger with you.

I can't rate this book because really, how do you rate someone's life?

No comments:

Post a Comment